Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Don't Ignore Warnings From Your Doctor

On May 29th of 2008 I checked into the hospital to undergo a right radical nephrectomy, to remove a multi-cystic clear cell renal carcinoma which had lay hidden and growing in my right kidney. Days before surgery, I had to go in for pre-register and do a few pre-surgery tests. As I sat in front of an over educated nurse explaining the steps that I would be following I was as usual, not paying much attention to what she was saying, but more the expression on my wife’s face. Once again I caused undue distress to my darling wife.
But lets not jump ahead, lets go back a year when my doctor told me that that they had found microscopic blood in the urinary sample that I had given. He asked ask me to please follow it up with an urologist. Did I? No! I hate going to see doctors and one thing was for sure, I was not interested in meeting another. I ignored his warning telling myself that of course there was blood in my urine I had suffered with kidney stones for years so as far as I was concerned there was no problem.
The following year when I returned for my yearly checkup, my doctor who I have the greatest respect for, made an issue of the test I had a year prior. He demanded that I would go to see an urologist even though there was no blood in my urine at this time. Being more stubborn that I he talked me into promising him that I would go to the urologist that he recommended.
Stuck with the promise I had made, my appointment with the urologist became a reality. The news I received was not good. The urologist found a large growth in my right kidney and surgical removal of the kidney was the only option.
If I had waited longer to follow the recommendations of my doctor the growth within my kidney could have burst and metastasized throughout my body. So questions come to mind.

• Is it important to find a doctor that you trust totally for taking care of
your well being?
• Do we listen to our doctor without question?
• Do we need to follow our doctor’s advice out of fear or just common sense?
• How does one overcome the fear of finding more cancer?
• Is it possible to find enough support to get through the ordeal?

I would like to hear your comments on my experience. My next article will discuss the experimental drugs I am using in a clinical study.

Website: www.dream-weaverchildrenstory.com
Author of children/teen stories
Blog address: http://dream-weaverchildrenstory.blogspot.com

1 comment:

angelinjones said...

When you get an ache in your knee, it's very easy to just assume it's arthritis. But what are the symptoms of arthritis? Your body can ache for lots of different reasons, so it's sensible to get any ongoing pain checked out. Arthritis symptoms are many and varied, so it's not always obvious that something is being caused by arthritis, if you have one or more less common symptoms.The first step is to visit your doctor.Please do not avoid the doctors.
---------------------------------
jones
internet marketing